TCP/IP on Xenix - summary

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Fri Dec 15 12:55:38 AEST 1989

In article <875 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
}Apparently, however, the Lachman TCP/IP which SCO sells contains
}a "copy-protection" feature which broadcasts the product's serial
}number to a particular UDP port on some regular basis.  If two
}different systems have the same serial no., something bad happens.
}(Presumably one or both go off-line; I've never tested.)
}
}Needless to say, this is unacceptable in any system which pretends to
}be a production system.  The marketeers were unrepentant as of last
}August at the SCO Forum.  I don't know whether things have changed
}since then.

It basically fails silently (I seem to remember there is a message logged
somewhere). The symptom is that things work ok for a few seconds and then
stop on one system (not the same one every time).

I have this happen about 50% of the time when I'm re-installing - I can
never remember which key goes with which machine.

It's a *royal* pain in the *ss.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)