Failed kill -9

Roger Knopf 5502 rogerk at sco.COM
Sat Dec 23 04:37:05 AEST 1989

In article <[628.1]unix;1 at oldcolo.UUCP> dave at oldcolo.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:
>This must be a more general problem than I thought. Will post
>solutions to the net when I get one.....I have had many private e-mails
>that they have the same problem. SCO????

I missed the earlier postings, so this is a shot in the dark based on
the header line.... Kernel routines which run at priority 24 or lower
(see the PRI column when you run ps -el) are not interruptible by a
signal. If you get into one of these routines and can't get out (bug
or HW failure, its never _normal_), the process will be unkillable
by any signal. More details can be supplied for those interested.

Roger Knopf
SCO Consulting Services		{sun,uunet}!sco!rogerk  or  rogerk at sco.com
disclaimer: the usual stuff....