Need Suggestions; Menu Software

neal at mnopltd.UUCP neal at mnopltd.UUCP
Fri Dec 29 09:53:24 AEST 1989

>> Can anyone out there recommend a decent menu generating utility that
>> will run under XENIX?  We have a need for such a program which will let
>> us create a fairly extensive set of nested menus.  The program must be
>> able to exec() as the highest level shell and the interface must be
>> text-based, consistent, terminal independant, and pleasing to look at.

I have used a user interface package called JAM from a company call JYACC
in NY which could do what you need.  It might be overkill..

JAM has a screen builder/editor which allows you to concoct various screens
which can look like menus or anything else you like.   You can then add
function keys and/or menu bars which can be "threaded" onto still other
screens.

OR you can stuff in DOS or Unix commands to be forked.

OR you can hook in your own C functions and let them be called.   This lets
you chuck in a variety of custom processing.

Of course, you can have customized prompts, context sensitive help, all kinds
of stuff which makes for a really slick looking product.

I used JAM extensively for a proprietary Email system and was quite pleased
with it.    Distribution of your created screens/menus is at no extra charge;
you must however buy one copy of the toolkit for each system you work on.

Lemme know if you want more info.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247
uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal