ST-251 as RLL

neal at mnopltd.UUCP neal at mnopltd.UUCP
Wed Dec 20 05:16:47 AEST 1989

We hate to let this drag on.. but we note that Seagate's Warranty on the ST-251
is one year in MFM, But is reduced to 6 months in RLL operation.   Now these
boys are not as dumb as they look.   Why did they reduce the warranty?  Maybe
because they expected a non-trivial number of drives to fail before one year?

The fact that both drives I worked with Failed within days of the warranty
expiration is likely coincidence.   Maybe I was hasty in saying they wouldn't
last;  maybe some of them will.   There is reasonable cause to be suspect of
their longevity.   And good reason to make frequent backups.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247
uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal