Looking at Pathalias and Xenix

Michael A. Moran michael at roberta.UUCP
Wed Jan 11 10:40:34 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jan9.134250.27793 at ateng.ateng.com>, chip at ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

> >I think it hits the top of memory (my system has 2048K, with 1402K as
> >the maximum user process size) and tries to swap. Maybe it is a system bug.
>
> Well, I have 3.5M.  Perhaps that's it.

And you are very close to the limit where pathalias will fail.  Running Xenix
on a '286 with 3 Megs I can build a pathalias file with about 9800 sites.
With 2.5 Megs I can build a pathalias file with about 7500 sites.  There are
about 11,000 sites (if I remember correctly) registered with the UUCP mapping
project (although there are more sites because many are not registered).
This would put a 3.5Meg system near the point where pathalias can't handle all
the sites.  In any event, all other things being equal I can build a larger
pathalias file with more memory, but still must drop some foreign countries
when I only have 3 Megs, and must drop some domain sites when I only have
2.5 Megs installed.

--
Michael A. Moran
{ ...}!comix!roberta!michael