Lost Space!

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Tue Jan 17 11:34:54 AEST 1989

In article <10368 at well.UUCP> dave at well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:
>I really screwed up while trying to free up over 3000 blocks of disk
>space occupied by /usr/man - the online xenix manual. I tried
>mvdir but moved it to /u1, not only another file system but
>anoter drive! The top directroy moved, but of course
>none of thefiles, and when I rebooted, the directory disappeared
>but the df command showed the 3000 blocks still tied up!
>How can I free up that space - everything that was in subdirectyroy
>/usr/man?

Sounds like mvdir is braindead, not you. mvdir should refuse to move
a directory to another file system. What it did now seems like trashing
your file system.
Xenix may not know that  your file system is garbled because  you shut
down your  machine gracefully i suppose, but  you  should  run fsck.
That should find the lost  information unless it is also braindead.

Paul.