AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

bill vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Fri Jan 20 12:19:37 AEST 1989

In article <2792 at ficc.uu.net> walker at ficc.uu.net (Walker Mangum) writes:
>In article <379 at bilver.UUCP>, bill at bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) writes:
>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>> A PC doens't seem smart enought to be able to walk and chew gum at the same
>> time. :-)  By that I mean that the PC doing 9600bps can't do a decent vt100
>
>No, the truth is, Xenix 2.2.2 and Smarterm are just very slow gum-chewers.  We
>developed a product in 1984 for PC's (running MS-DOS, no less) that does
>complete terminal emulation, including <buffered/block/page> mode, that had no
>problem at speeds up to 9600, on a 4.77MHz 8088.  On a 6 Mhz AT, the terminal
>emulation was able to keep up with the incoming data at up to 19.2k.  We're
>now using a 16Mhz 386 clone, and are demonstrating REAL throughput of 115.2k.
>That's using a standard PC asynch adapter.

Well I can't change from the Xenix 2.2.2 and it has not problems at 38,200 on
REAL terminals.  I wasn't losing data at 9600 on Smartterm but the screen
displays were no faster at 4800 and 9600 than they were at 2400.

Now - about your program - you didn't mention any names.  And if I am somewhat
typical there are other who probably want to know what/where/how-much?

It need to be able to do transparent print to an attached pc, just like a
vt100.  Can it do it?  Where can I find more information on this program.
Boards in the '286ers are Computones.  The two '386s I just installed are
using the Anvil Stallion.  That board is a real performer.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

bill

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP