Xenix mail system

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 13:17:21 AEST 1989

In article <295 at tessera.UUCP> jtc at tessera.UUCP (J.T. Conklin) writes:
>In article <417 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>>	I would like to totally replace the standard Xenix mail system.
>
>1. Replaced execmail with sendmail.
>2. Used smail as a back end to sendmail.
>3. Totally removed SCO mail.

I've also been thinking about dumping SCO's mail package ... but I've
been thinking about a different approach.  I've heard so many horror
stories about "sendmail" that I want to avoid it.  Instead, I was thinking
about using "smail" and Chip Salzenberg's recently posted deliver program,
and do all my fromming/aliasing with smail (and possibly deliver).  Therefore,
I envison something like:

	Elm -----.			  .----------> uux
		 |			  |
      uuxqt -----+-----> smail,rmail -----+
	         |			  |
    recmail -----'			  `----------> deliver

Where Elm, recmail, and uuxqt are the entry points into mail for users,
news, and uucp respectively; and uux and deliver are the delivery agents
for uucp and local mail respectively.

I've also recently brought up TCP/IP here, and would possibly like to add
SMTP to this at some point.  Hopefully, the coming-reeel-soon-now version
of smail will support the hooks for this.

Hey Chip ... what does your mail setup look like?
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip at vector.UUCP    |      Choke me in the shallow water
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-5337    |         before I get too deep.