386/SX Chip

tif at cpe.UUCP tif at cpe.UUCP
Tue Jan 17 04:12:00 AEST 1989

Written  2:14 am  Jan 14, 1989 by uoregon.UUCP!akm in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>I recently had the opportunity of using a NEC powermate with a 386SX, 16 MHz
>and 2 MB of memory. On running Norton's SI (ver 3.00) on it (the only
>software I could get: the machine uses 3.5" drives, and my software is
>all 5.25") produced some strange results. Approximately half the time it
>gave speeds of
>	15.7 +/- .1
>and the (approximately) other half it gave speeds of
>	18.3 +/- .1

Could this be related to something like the load address of the program
being on (or not on) a 4-byte boundary and requiring something extra
for a fetch?

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif