Partial summary: ESDI controllers and non-ESDI Xenix.

Rich Brennan brennan at merk.UUCP
Sun Jan 8 10:15:10 AEST 1989

  From the email I've received, and the one posting I've read, it looks
like the WD1007 (or WD1005) talks ESDI to the drive, and talks "WD1010"
to the PC/AT bus. This is what the non-ESDI version of Xenix likes and
needs. Apparently (thanks, Jim Morton of Applix) the WD1007 can handle
1:1 interleaved drives (track buffered?), while the recommended value
for WD1005 is 3:1.

  There's another wrinkle to this, however. A year ago, before I gave
up on this ESDI mess and got an RLL Priam, (you should see my controller
and drive collection!), I got a WD1005 with a 4175 MAXTOR ESDI. I spent
a week trying to get them to work and finally gave up. Recently, looking
a little harder at the doc, I now see the the WD1005 only works with
HARD SECTORED ESDI DRIVES. Unfortunately my 4175 is soft sectored.
Ergo, Nogo. Of course the only place I could find that the MAXTOR was
soft sectored was in a little diagram describing the ESDI "Configuration
response bits". One asserted status bit is marked "soft sectored"!
Was I the only person on the continent to order a soft sectored ESDI
drive?!?

  I've ordered up my WD1007 which I hope will work with either soft or
hard sectored ESDI drives (the OMTI 8620 does, but it doesn't talk the
standard "WD1010"; you need "ESDI Xenix" to get the 8620 to work).

  I'll post info on the WD1007 when it arrives. Who knows, maybe it only
works with "firm" sectored drives :-). You may also see a "for sale"
notice for some controllers and drives, too!

  I can hardly wait until I can duke it out with the many flavors of
the SCSI standard!

Rrrrrich.
--
...!{uunet,linus!alliant}!merk!root			Rich Brennan