SCO dial-in site install help

Larry Taborek larry at macom1.UUCP
Thu Jul 27 21:51:38 AEST 1989

>From article <20741 at cup.portal.com>, by Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino at cup.portal.com:
> I tried to install a dial-in site under SCO 2.2.3 using uucp and
> followed all instructions including use of the uuinstall utility
> When I attempt a login I get the message of the day greeting, but then
> instead of the password prompt I get "shere". I am unable to key-in
> any further and have to wait for a disconnect. What am I doing wrong?

The "shere" message is one that is traded between uucico programs
when they are talking to one another.

Some logins, rather then starting a shell like sh or csh, are
configured to run a program called uucico.  You can see this in
looking at the 7th field (last) of a entry in the passwd file.
If it says "/usr/lib/uucp/uucico", then rather then getting a
normal shell on login, a uucico program will be run that attempts
to communicate with what it expects to be a uucico program
calling in from your system.

To fix this, use another login that does have a normal shell
started on login.

I also noticed that you are expecting the password prompt but are
getting the message of the day.  Message of the day shows that
login was sucessful and you are in.  If your login has no passwd
entry in the password field in the password file, then the login
program will not prompt you for a password, and you will be IN
the system.

I have worked some with uucp.  If you need to have a discussion
about whats happening, give me a call.

Hope this helps.
Larry
--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry at macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive