File system dump and restoration

Bob McGowen x922-4312 Training bob at wyse.wyse.com
Sat Jul 22 10:52:07 AEST 1989

In article <195 at van-bc.UUCP> sl at van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <19 at fmsystm.UUCP> macy at fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:
>>In article <775 at lilink.UUCP> mikej at lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>>>On our Altos machines at work we have a utility called "dump.hd" which
>>>dumps the entire root filesystem to tape. By using this program on
---deleted
>Steps to backup and restore a root filesystem for SCO.
>
>	Assumptions: Working system with tape drivers installed.
---also deleted
>I havn't tried it, but I assume that a backup to floppies would also work.

Negative, unless you have a second floppy drive.  (If 360k second drive,
then your backup would have to be to it -- :-(  )  You cannot remove
the boot floppy in floppy drive 0 to get at the floppy backups.

I believe the following would work to "restore" a root fs on a floppy
only system:

	 1)  Backup up /dev/root using cpio (in single user mode this
	     should be the only fs available);
	 2)  get a copy of cpio on a floppy (tar it!!);
	 3)  verfy both, replace the disk, install with the N1
	     disk, and reboot onto the hard disk;
	 4)  tar cpio onto the hard disk;
	 5)  move /xenix to /something;
	 6)  restore the /dev/root files with cpio -idum...

Depending on how you used tar to get cpio on the hard disk, you may or
may not see an error message when it tries to overwrite itself with
the cpioed version.  By moving xenix to something else you avoid this
problem when the "proper" kernel file is loaded.

I will be trying this procedure out myself in the coming week.  If you
have any problems, e-mail me, I'll see if I can help.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com