XENIX 2.3.2 and cron

r richard at berner.uucp
Sat Jul 15 02:18:31 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jul14.142929.22430 at berner.uucp> richard at berner.UUCP (Richard Greenall) writes:
>In article <104 at ssc.UUCP> fyl at ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>>On a XENIX 386 Release 2.3.2 system we have a situation where
>>the cron process is started but it never executes.  If you kill it
>>and start another one, all is well.
>>
>>I remember a discussion of this some time ago but as I remember the
>>case was that if there was nothing to schedule for a long time it
>>would never run.  We have stuff scheduled at least every half hour.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>
>I have had that same problem here on our 2.3.2 machine as well ever
>since we upgraded to 2.3.2.  When we reboot the machine, cron must
>be killed and restarted every time, or it will just sit in memory
>and never execute. It's just one of those things I have learned to
>live with, but it is still a pain.

Well, I just got off the phone with SCO support talking about this
problem, and they are going to send me a fix disk ASAP via courier.
Apparently there are still some bugs in the 2.3.2 version of cron.
I will find out what the fix disk number is, and if it will be generally
available on the SCO bullitin board. (And needless to say, if the
fix actually works (-: )

						rich