Streamer (mountain, ibm)

Bob Willey bob at consult.UUCP
Sun Jul 30 01:51:29 AEST 1989

In article <47 at eliza.edvvie.at> alfred at edvvie.at (Alfred Kovacs) writes:
>Is there any known problem with SCO-Xenix 368 Rel.2.2.3 for IBM PS2 Mod.
>70/80 dealing with streamer-tapes.
>I have a serious problem with the streamer IBM 6157-001 connected to IBM PS2
>Mod. 80-111.
>When I try to make a backup with the command "tar" I sometimes get a strange
>filesystem.
>Also the MOUNTAIN-Streamer does not work correctly with IBM Mod. 70/80.
>If i try to restore files with the command

Yes, there are problems with some of the drivers.
However, if you have contact with your VAR or reseller, you
should request the latest version of the drivers.
Mountain has an update driver for their FileSafe systems,
that when used work just fine.
But the original driver has some problems.
It is a combination problem, of timing
and MCA devices.  (They seem to create quite a problem to
get the devices to work properly).  I am not a fan of
MCA cards or the interface  (No flames necessary, since this
is just my opinion), but be very cautious about getting VERY
current drivers when on these devices.
don't depend on the fact that you tape is new, therefore it
is a Current driver.  You don't know how long it sat in
distribution before you got it.  Call immediately to ensure
that you get the latest release!!
Just a helpful hint.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..