migration to UNIX, part II

Gordon Stewart gors at well.UUCP
Sat Jul 1 07:32:45 AEST 1989

I have received numerous replies to my earlier posting.  The nature of these
has led to this one -- please bear with me.

I already have the following equipment:

	Mylex MI-386/20 (64k cache, 4 meg RAM)
	WD 7000 FASST controller
	Maxtor XT-4170S (157 Meg HD)
	Paradise VGA Plus 16
	Targa 16
	Microsoft bus mouse

I have been told that the WD SCSI controller is not supported by any of
the UNIX vendors!!! Arrgh!!! This could be a serious problem.  The Adaptec
is a 1st generation SCSI card and SLOWWWWW!, which is why I went for the
7000 FASST when I configured my system.

In a low-part-count system, it might make sense to use an ESDI instead
of SCSI, but I intend to get a WORM drive, MO drive, etc --
so I'm committed to SCSI.

Suggestions that I chuck the whole system are unwelcome -- those mostly
came from students, whose parents are still paying their rent!!!  I can
handle DOWNGRADING the controller card, but would rather find a vendor
that is willing to support it.

please e-mail replies!
Thanks.

P.S. - If all else fails, I could, I suppose, offer to write drivers
for the WD, eh?

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors at well.sf.ca.us
(Doolan) | (Meyer) | (Sierchio) | (Stewart)