720k 5.25 disks

Earl H. Kinmonth ked at garnet.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 19 01:53:15 AEST 1989

In article <196500030 at trsvax> uhclem at trsvax.UUCP writes:

[long and complicated discussion of how/why 720/5.25 disks would not
work on an AT clone.]

>done.  Under XENIX, you should be able to force recognition by using the
>appropriate dev, that is if the XENIX floppy driver was written properly.
>I haven't tried this with the "real" SCO XENIX floppy driver.

The real Xenix driver works fine. You make the appropriate /dev entry,
and add to the /etc/default/tar and /etc/default/msdos entries and away
you go.

You do NOT need high denity floppies for 720 operation. Ordinary double
density floppies are still within spec for this.

The answer for MSDOS is a programme called fdread2.com that is included
as part of an EXCELLENT German program called fdformat.  This programme
kicks MSDOS in its privates and leaves it stunned and happy with almost
any disk!

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth at ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password