Keyboard trouble with VPIX 1.1.0

John Boteler bote at csense.UUCP
Mon Jul 17 15:11:06 AEST 1989

>From article <2502NU013809 at NDSUVM1>, by NU013809 at NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein):
> I have VPIX 1.1.0 running under a 2.3.1 kernel and have noted a problem with
> what appears to be the buffering of keystrokes.  The problem is reproducible
> when I run the Shareware editor QEDIT under VPIX.  Occassionaly when I press
> a key the application (editor) does not appear to receive the keystroke until
> I press the next key.  As you can imagine this becomes somewhat frustrating
> after a period of time.

The workaround is to abandon using VP/ix.

VP/ix does the best it can under the constraints of an 'operating system'
which based its modus operandi on the assumption that all hardware
was at its disposal all the time.

Xenix' formidable task is to share that hardware and time slice the
software operations in such a manner as to prevent the DOS
task from consuming all the resources of the system.

I don't know the technical details of how it is done, but the
keyboard lag you notice is commonplace. I have grown to live
with it, knowing that I am getting something done in DOS
without having to reboot. That alone is time consuming, without
mentioning the loss of Xenix services while running DOS as
the sole task on the machine.

I understand that these symptoms are either gone or much less
severe on a serial VP/ix job. Test that with a suitable
DOS application.

--
Bote
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote