File system dump and restoration

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Fri Jul 21 04:30:13 AEST 1989

In article <19 at fmsystm.UUCP> macy at fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:
>In article <775 at lilink.UUCP> mikej at lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>>On our Altos machines at work we have a utility called "dump.hd" which
>>dumps the entire root filesystem to tape. By using this program on
>>can create a COMPLETE image of the hard drive that can be used to restore
>>a crashed system etc.
>
>I have tried to restore SCO systems several times using tar, dd, cpio
>and other methods, with little luck.  This makes upgrading to a new
>hard disk a burdensome task.  SCO is little help.  I suspect this
>is part of their serialization/copy protection scheme.  It's defintely
>a blemish on an otherwise sound and useful product.

Steps to backup and restore a root filesystem for SCO.

	Assumptions: Working system with tape drivers installed.

	1. Use sysadmin to do an unscheduled backup.
	2. Use mkdev fd to create a bootable, root floppy.
	3. Verify backup is correct.
	4. Verify bootable floppy is good.
	5. Remove hard disk.
	6. Install and format new hard disk.
	7. Use your SCO N1 disk to partition and make a root filesystem
	   on new hard disk.
	8. Reboot off hard disk to verify that it is working.
	9. Use DEL to stop installation onto hard disk.
	10.Reboot off bootable floppy.
	11.Restore from backup, e.g. restore rf /dev/rct0 /dev/hd0root

This works fairly well. The first trick is in using the N1 disk to partition
and create a filesystem on the new drive. The second is to have a good
bootable floppy with a kernel with your tape drivers installed.

I havn't tried it, but I assume that a backup to floppies would also work.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)