Kernel too big? Maybe...

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.com
Wed Jul 12 05:26:42 AEST 1989

My earlier posting about kernel-too-big with Xenix/386 2.3.1 engendered a
host of replies.  Many thanks to all who replied.  The fix is #xnx126 from
SCO; it is a replacement /boot for kernels larger than 640K.

Nevertheless, we still can't boot our kernel!  Before the fix we got this
error message at boot time:

	segment read error: 65535

Now that we've got the New-And-Improved /boot, it says this:

	segment read error: 65535

Obviously a step forward. :-)

Just on general principles, we rebuilt the free list and relinked the
kernel:

	fsck -rr -s /dev/root
	cd /usr/sys/conf
	./link_xenix

Then we got this message:

	header read error: 0

Help!  We're at the end of our collective rope here, and we really need to
boot the kernel in question _s_o_o_n.

Please E-Mail info; I'll summarize (again).
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>