serial port buffer size

Mitch Baltuch msb62 at leah.Albany.Edu
Tue Jul 11 05:49:47 AEST 1989

We are having a problem with a communications application we need to write.
We are passing in a data stream through a serial comm port at 9600 baud.
We need to load the data into shared memory for use by other processes.  The
problem is that we only have an input buffer size of 1024 and we can't read
it and get it into the shared memory array fast enough, so that we get over-
written in the input buffer.  Is there anyway to increase the size of the
input buffer without changing BUFSIZE and relinking the kernal.  This is the
only application that needs a larger buffer.  Alternatively, is there anyway
to move the input stream into the shared memory space in a more efficient
manner?

We are running Xenix 2.3.1 on a Zenith Z386, if it makes a difference.

Thanks
Mitch Baltuch
Thunderstorm Analysis Center
State University of New York at Albany
Internet: msb62 at leah.albany.edu		Phone: (518) 442-4138
Bitnet:   m.s.baltuch at albnyvms		Snail Mail: State Univ. of NY at Albany
						    ES235	ATM/SCI
						    1400 Washington Ave.
						    Albany, New York 12222

Disclaimer: These opinions are only mine, but I love 'em anyway.