haltsys/reboot vrs. shutdown (was Re: init's untimely death.)

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdgw1.crd.ge.com
Tue Jul 4 05:35:25 AEST 1989

In article <2049 at egvideo.UUCP> edhew at egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) writes:

| Even then, you probably will still have to run fsck to clean up, as neither
| haltsys or reboot take you to single user mode, do any sync's, or cleanly
| terminate all those processes that are spawned when you are multi-user.

	Hogwash! RTFM. They sync and mark the filesystems as clean. They
don't give the CPU back to the processes with a SIG to let them do
cleanup. There have been time when I really wanted to kill the system
without sync from software, haltsys doesn't do it, it's clean and
documented as such.

| Odds are that you'll still have a bunch of temporary files sitting around,
| and any number of unflushed buffers.

	true and false, respectively. Of course any reasonable startup
will clean the temp files...

| system.  Anyone have any comments on how haltsys does it's job?

	It's all in the manual...

| 		--ed		{edhew at egvideo.uucp}
| >Warren Tucker, Tridom Corporation       ...!gatech!emory!tridom!wht
|
|   Ed. A. Hew     Authorized SCO Technical Trainer      Xeni/Con Corporation

	I would not have posted this reply, or been so critical, but
this is a pile of (misinformation) to come from a technical trainer.
--
	- bill davidsen (davidsen at crdgw1.uucp)
	GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8, KW-C206; Schenectady NY 12345