File system dump and restoration (sco downloads)

Robec Horsham PM eli at robechq.UUCP
Sat Jul 22 00:55:42 AEST 1989

In article <19 at fmsystm.UUCP> macy at fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:
>In article <775 at lilink.UUCP> mikej at lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>>On our Altos machines at work we have a utility called "dump.hd" which
>>can create a COMPLETE image of the hard drive that can be used to restore
>>a crashed system etc.
>
>I have tried to restore SCO systems several times using tar, dd, cpio
>and other methods, with little luck.  This makes upgrading to a new
>hard disk a burdensome task.  SCO is little help.  I suspect this
>is part of their serialization/copy protection scheme.  It's defintely
>a blemish on an otherwise sound and useful product.

I don't think concerns about serialization are the problem, since
SCO release disks can be installed many times without problem.  There
are so many little nuances for doing a correct root filesystem restore
(like the target filesystem must be same size or larger than the one
backed up, the filesystem being restored) that SCO probably feels that
it just easier (and safer) to rebuild the system from the ground up.
Do you have an accurate log of what your divvy table looks like?  The
latest sysadm manual suggests tailoring your own backups using tar.

* BUT, you guys are right.  A neat, clean, one-shot restore would
  help all of us.

>(To give credit where credit is due: SCO has the right idea with
>posting updates/info this way.  Keep it up, SCO - how 'bout posting
>the rest of the updates/supplements this way - its got to save SCO

The fixes that aren't posted are those that contain a large portion
of the complete product and the reason for this should be obvious.