ACB2372As have problems with ST277 & ST4144 at once!

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Thu Jul 13 02:24:50 AEST 1989

In article <3684 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>WARNING!!!!!
>
>Those of you who might want to use an ACB2372 as a secondary controller
>under Xenix or 386/ix with certain drive combinations, look out!
>
>We just had a nice experience -- the board will function with either a
>ST277R, or a ST4144, but with BOTH drives connected the following happens:
>
>(Drive 0 = ST4144, Drive 1 = ST277R)

Well, it looks like we have a classic case of "no documentationitis" and
"hardware people that don't know their hardware" here.

Neither Adaptec or Seagate knew what the problem was, but we have found it.

If you jumper the 6th set of pins on the ST4144 header (where you would set
drive select; leave the select pins jumpered as well) the problem
DISAPPEARS.

We are now happily running along with 360MB of disk space on ddsw1, split
across two controllers and 4 drives.  Nice!

Thanks to Hector Mandel for the suggestion.....

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]