MCS Tidbits & Computer Hints Weekly Column

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Fri Jul 14 00:13:47 AEST 1989

In article <174 at mobile.UUCP> dave at mobile.UUCP (David C. Rein) writes:
>In article <3688 at ddsw1.MCS.COM>, michael at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Michael Duebner) writes:
>>                            MCS Tidbits & Computer Hints
>>                            ----------------------------
>> [..stuff deleted..]
>>         Upgrading to '486
>>
>>         Last week's  IBM '486 on-a-board upgrade  announcement was only  the
>>         beginning  of a  flurry of  'we have it  too' press releases.   AST,
>> [..stuff deleted..]
>	Does this mean '486 upgrades for IBM Model 70s and 80s, or does it
>	also apply to the Model 50s and 60s (80286)??

You're not going to like this, but...

IBM has done it to most of their buyers again.  Only certain runs of the Model
70 (I believe it's the Model 70A21) can accept the new processor update.
IBM has only shipped some 2,000 of these total; the rest of the IBM buyers
are out in the cold on this one.

To top it all off, they are supposedly introducing a "new" MCA which is
supposed to have the bandwidth that the original MCA was designed for, but
never realized.  Again, no refit possible for the older users on this one.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]