File system dump and restoration

Chris Lewis clewis at eci386.uucp
Tue Jul 18 04:26:04 AEST 1989

In article <775 at lilink.UUCP> mikej at lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>Looking through the SCO Xenix manuals I note the statement:
>
>	"It is not possible to completely restore an active root filesystem."

>I'd only need to use the following steps (as I do on the Altos) to restore
>the entire system:

>	1- Boot from floppy
>	2- Restore root file system to hard drive.
>	3- Boot from hard drive.
>	4- Restore the most recent tar backup (data files.).

This is perfectly possible using "dd" or any other copying utility being
used to create a disk image.  The key point is "an active root filesystem" -
they're referring to doing the "dd" while the system is *running* on
the root filesystem in question - obviously, if the root filesystem
changes while you're backing it up (particularly with an image backup)
there may be inconsistencies introduced.  So, do the backup when root
isn't mounted, eg: boot off the floppy and do your backup of the harddisk
root and it'll work.

Though, during restore, add the following point:
	1a) if neccessary (new drive or completely shmucked VTOC,
	    badblocks or whatever), reformat and repartition the main drive.
	    (if you're making image backup, the partitioning *must*
	    stay the same)
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis