setgid() broken on xenix?

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.com
Sat Jul 22 06:57:35 AEST 1989

According to tan at bronson.UUCP (Tan Bronson):
>    A few weeks ago I recall someone else noticing that setgid programs
>can't work on Xenix. Is there a workaround? I'm running `386 2.3.1...
>I'd sure like to be able to use this someday!

Xenix 2.2 and greater has no problem I'm aware of with running setgid
programs.

The bug is that if a program calls setgid(getgid()), and that program's
effective uid isn't root, then the setgid() fails but returns -> zero <-.
So it's saying "sure, no problem," but it's not doing anything.

A workaround is:  "setgid(getgid()); if (getegid() != getgid()) { PROBLEM }".
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>