Miniscribe drive - quick advice

Macy Hallock macy at fmsystm.UUCP
Thu Jul 27 13:26:02 AEST 1989

In article <4564 at tank.uchicago.edu> goer at sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:

>I have a machine on order I intend to run Xenix on.  It
>will be coming with a 150 meg Miniscribe drive with a WD
>1007 ESDI controller.  No problem with the controller.
>However, will that drive have too many cylinders to run
>properly and effectively under Xenix along with MS-DOS?

We find that using a disk with over 1024 cylinders is a problem
with DOS 3.3 (Xenix 2.3.X doesn't care) in both ESDI and ST-506
installations.  We have not been able to get DOS and Xenix to
live together on the same disk when the disk is over 1024 cyl.
It appears to be a problem in fdisk partioning (10 bit addressing?)
with DOS.

Xenix 2.2.X and would only work with drives of less than 1024 cyl.

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy at NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
                                  Your milage may vary.