Upgrading to SCO Unix from SCO Xenix

Rick Stout rick at crash.cts.com
Mon Aug 13 01:51:23 AEST 1990

In article <343 at lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US> rob at lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US (Rob Freyder) writes:
>I am thinking of upgrading from xenix to unix and was curious about some
>of the experiences people have had with this route.
>
>How painful was it ??

It was painful.  Mostly because it is different from the
Xenix product.

>Is the first release of SCO Unix bug-ridden ?

Not at all.  Once you get it up and running it and
stabilized.  I used to like xenix because it was *so*
stable and the first beta of SCO Unix was *so* shakey.

My impressions now after a month or two of running
Unix is that it is very stable.

If you get Open Desktop you also get alot of goodies.

>What were some of the problems that you encountered ?
If your just going to get SCO Unix 3.2 I wouldn't expect
you to encounter any problems.  Here's some hints if
your getting ODT.

o  If you have to remove any service components, or
   services, do it from sysadmsh in single user mode.

o  Find out if you can get the tape distribution yet.
   The day you spend plugging floppies may justify
   a tape drive if you dont have one.

o  Read the release notes  (I read them a couple of
   times but unfortunately there is too many release
   notes to remember them all as you stumble accross
   their subject).

o  Backup the man pages as soon as you can.  If you
   should have to start over for any reason, it is
   alot faster to restore the man pages than installing
   them off the distribution.

o  If you intend to use ODT Net and a wd8003 board,
   ignore the documentation, it cant go on IRQ 2.

o  If you want to enable a modem port, you have to use
   uugetty, not getty.

-Rick
Rick Stout                                                ...uunet!eysd!rick
Ernst & Young, San Diego                                     (619) 236-1100