Process inactivity timeout program?

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Wed Aug 29 02:34:49 AEST 1990

jem at mhinfo.UUCP ( MHIS) writes:

>I am looking for a program that would logout any user processes
>based upon some predefined time limit of inactivity.  Has anyone
>seen such a beast?  I am looking for a version to run under Xenix.

	We've used two approaches to date: the first (used years ago)
focused on modification times associated with the terminal device, and
noted those remaining unchanged between two snapshots. The second
utilizes `who -u`'s idle field and requires only a single examination.

	Finally, note that some shells (like Korn Shell) include timeout
provisions, though they seem only to recognize idle from shell prompt.
(Someone running vi, for example, will not be seen as "idle".)