386 chip "hangs" when in protected mode and 387 in place SCO Xenix

Ian B. Shef shef at ipla01.hac.com
Tue Aug 14 07:36:34 AEST 1990

In article <504 at lafayet.UUCP> rob at lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:

>  [ Many lines describing a Unix hang problem deleted ]
>
>Intel has documented this and I believe its referred to as "Erratum 21"
>
>  [ More lines deleted ]

There is a company which frequently advertises in _EDN_ magazine which has
a hardware fix for your problem (if indeed it is errata 21).  For example,
see _EDN_, March 15, 1990, p. 217:

  " The FIX-80386 solves the Errata 21 problem that is showing up on
    many PC's.  If your PC locks up when running UNIX or memory
    extenders in MS-DOS you will need this part.  The part is placed
    between the 80386 and its socket... "

The company is Ironwood Electronics, P.O. Box 21151, St. Paul, MN 55121.
Phone number 612-431-7025.

I neither work for Ironwood Electronics, nor have I had occasion to use
their products.

Hope this helps.
-- Ian
Ian Shef                         Internet: shef at ipla01.hac.com  [128.152.40.86]
Hughes Aircraft Co. 268/W62          uucp: ...!usc!hacgate!ipla01!shef (maybe?)
8433 Fallbrook Avenue               phone: 818-702-4365
Canoga Park, CA 91304-0445       Any opinions expressed are author's own.