backing up an entire unix/xenix system

BBS Administration bbs at alchemy.UUCP
Sun Aug 12 02:21:57 AEST 1990

In article <201 at consult.UUCP> bob at consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
>In article <4 at icdi50.UUCP> steve at icdi50.UUCP (Steve M. Ciarciello) writes:
>>Does anybody know of a utility that will back up an entire disk drive to
>>streaming tape under SCO Xenix or Unix.
[Stuff Deleted]
>This is a common problem.  Using tar and the like will only give
>you mixed results.  You must be very careful.
>We have been using CTAR from MicroLite with EXCELLENT results.
>It does a complete backup of ALL files including character, fifo, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, so does GNU TAR. I just FTP'd a copy and
read most of the documentation and was rather impressed. From what I
understand, it will backup special files, device files and all the things
Xenix TAR will not. Additionally, you can have it compress/uncompress
on the fly as it is creating or restoring an archive. Pretty spiffy if
you ask me. And since it's free... need I say more? Check it out for
yourself and if I'm wrong... I apologize, but I think this is what the
documentation (incredibly lengthy, and in "tex" format which is completely
useless for me) says.

Good luck,

-- John

John Donahue, Senior Partner | UUCP: ucrmath!alchemy!{bbs, gumby}  | The Future
  Alchemy Software Designs   | INET: {bbs, gumby}@alchemy.UUCP     | Begins Now