SCO Open Desktop on a 386SX

Aris Stathakis aris at tabbs.UUCP
Thu Aug 23 05:56:25 AEST 1990

In article <2624 at anomaly.sbs.com> ccc at anomaly.sbs.com (Cole Calistra) writes:
>I am considering purchasing SCO Open Desktop, Xenix, or UNIX, and have a
>question.  Will it run under my 386SX, or will I have to get a "real"
>386 to run it?  Are there any compatibility problems? Has anyone gotten
>ODT (especially) to run on a 386SX, 20 Mhz?

I'm running ODT on a 20Mhz 386DX (not SX) at work with 8 megs of ram
and a 16ms ESDI disk.  The Operating System itself is quite fast - and
Merge 386 - is **VERY** nice (compared to VPiX).  The X-Window
environment itself is sluggish to say the least.  I believe a
co-processor speeds things up quite a bit.

If you can get a faster machine - great.  The 16Mhz SX should be OK
though.  Also - if you don't run TCP/IP and NFS (which I do) you'll
free up a fair amount of ram and CPU overhead.

In my opinion, ODT is worth it just for the Merge-386 :-)

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris at tabbs.UUCP
- Rex Stardust, lead electric triangle with Towed the Wet Sprocket has had -