Setting modem to answer on 4 rings

Alan H. Mintz alan at mq.UUCP
Fri Aug 10 10:33:56 AEST 1990

In article <1663 at ispi.COM>, jbayer at ispi.COM (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
> gritchie at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Gary Ritchie) writes:
> >	Thanks for all the help on my last problem with the monochrome
> >monitor.  I've run into another problem I can't figure out.  I'm
> >trying to get my modem to answer on the fourth ring.  I have changed
> >the dialers file to ATS0=4 in the string that resets auto answer.
> >However, the modem is reinitialized to 1 ring answer.
> >	Next I changed the reinit string to S0=0 to turn off the modem
> >from answering.  No change.  The modem still answers on 1 ring.  Is
> >the modem being reset by something other than the dialers file, and
> >if so, is there anything I can do to change it.
> >	I'm running XENIX 386, the most current version, have the modem
> >set up for tty2A, and the modem is a Hayes 2400.  I used to have
> >this working on XENIX 286 which was controlled by the dialers
> >file.  Any suggestions?
>
> The problem is that the modem is being re-initialized by the program
> 		/usr/lib/uucp/dialHA24
> (assuming a Hayes 2400).  You have to modify this program and then recompile
> it on your system.

As I recall, the dialer used is in the fifth field of the Devices file entry.
It first looks for a binary by that name in /usr/lib/uucp, then it searches the
Dialers file.

If your Devices entry looks like:

       ACU ttyA7 - 300-2400 dialHA24

change it to:

       ACU ttyA7 - 300-2400 hayes2400

If it is already hayes2400, I suspect your modem is resetting itself on DTR
transition. You could connect directly to the modem with

       cu -lttyA7 dir

issue the ATS0=4&W command to write the desired setting into memory.
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034 >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995 >