Zmodem for Xenix

BBS Administration bbs at alchemy.UUCP
Mon Aug 13 11:17:18 AEST 1990

In article <15801 at s.ms.uky.edu> simon at ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
>I want to make my xenix system call out and download files from another
>machine using zmodem, just like I can user c-kermit now.
>
>Rz and Sz only let users download/upload from/to my system to/from a remote
>DOS machine.  I have tried running rz and sz using redirection to the serial
>port I'm using, but can't make this work.

My suggestion is to get a program called XCMALT. It is really great, does
everything you want, and is FREE! The best thing is that the author is
frequently updating the program to make it work better and to make it more
portable. I think it's really nice. Once you're logged into another
machine, you tell it to send/receive the file, then get the XCMALT
command prompt, and tell it to fork sz/rz with I/O redirected to that
process and all is taken care of (example: "$ rz" which will fork rz,
and redirect I/O to that process so you can receive the files you just
sent to yourself -- you don't have to use ">" or anything to redirect,
it does it by itself).

Truly, a wonderful program. I'm not sure if it's available via anon. FTP
anywhere, but I can mail you off a copy if you like. Let me know.

-- John

P.S. It has a complete scripting language, a dialing directory for
frequently dialed numbers and lots more. It goes far beyond other
programs I've used before (not saying it is the "end all" but it is
a rather complete package and I highly recommend it).

John Donahue, Senior Partner | UUCP: ucrmath!alchemy!{bbs, gumby}  | The Future
  Alchemy Software Designs   | INET: {bbs, gumby}@alchemy.UUCP     | Begins Now