UPS for XENIX

Daniel Wynalda danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Tue Aug 7 00:10:05 AEST 1990

In article <3809 at crash.cts.com> scotto at crash.cts.com (Scott O'Connell) writes:
>In article <10415 at celit.fps.com> mcs at dreamit.fps.com (Mike Sanfratello) writes:
>>I'm looking for a UPS to run on an NCR 386 (10mhz) under SCO XENIX 2.3.1.
>>I am looking for the type with the AT Bus adapter that will be notified
>>from the UPS when power outage occurs and can in turn notify software to
>>sync the system and shut it down.
>>
>>Could someone out there email me any experiences with such devices and their
>>manufacturers/pricing/features?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,

Sure...

In the February 1990 issue of Unix World (Vol VII, No 2) on Page 119
(Rebecca Thomas' "Wizard' Grabbag" column) there was a nice article on
building your own interface to tie to your UPS.  It contained the code and
the instructions for building this system.  I would guess it'll cost you
$15-25.00 and 30 minutes (maybe an hour) worth of typing.

If you run more than one system, this is probably a VERY good way to go.
You can then just build another box and copy the software (you entered it :-)

It is really a simple task -- just a relay the trips DTR and the computer
watches DTR on the serial port...

--
Daniel Wynalda       | (616) 866-1561 X22 Ham:N8KUD Net:danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | 8221 Graphic Industrial Pk. | Rockford, MI  49341