Logging In as UUCP to Set crontab

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Fri Aug 10 00:07:38 AEST 1990

markd at silogic.UUCP (Mark DiVecchio) writes:

>I don't quite understand how I get a new uucp owned crontab into
>/usr/spool/cron/crontabs.

>To do this for uucp, I need to login as uucp but, of course, the login
>shell is uucico so that won't work.

	Many older implementations of UNIX and Xenix are delivered with
only a single uucp-related login - that being "uucp", running the uucico
shell. By current convention, this is incorrect.

	Each site should have a uucp ADMINISTRATIVE login to perform any
uucp-related support activities (like configuring tty lines, remote logins).
In addition, one or more daemon logins are required, which would run the
uucico shell.

	Once accomplished in this fashion, user "uucp" can login, run
his "crontab -l" routine, etc. This approach has the additional advantage
of eliminating yet another reason to run as "root".