DOS & Xenix on same drive

Stephen Wong smwong at hantsv.enet.dec.com
Sun Aug 12 15:52:46 AEST 1990

In article <199 at consult.UUCP>, bob at consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:

|> BUT, the problem comes in with the limitations.  The drive on the
|> subject machines is 100mb.  According to the documentation we have
|> seen you can setup a max partition of 32mb for dos and use the
|> balance for Xenix.  What we would LIKE to do, is to setup 32mb
|> drive C for dos, 36mb for Xenix, and another 32mb drive for dos.
|> Is this possible on one physical drive?????

You can do this by allocating an extended partition of size 32mb from MS-DOS.
That is, install a DOS partition (32MB), then use FDISK to install an extended
partition (32MB), then install Xenix.

But there is one drawback, Xenix dos command (ie, dosls, doscp, etc.) can access
the standard DOS partition only, you cannot access files from the extended
partition!

stephen at hantsq.enet.dec.com