Why is my console acting flaky?

Dean Riddlebarger dean at truevision.com
Thu Aug 30 07:42:49 AEST 1990

I have a machine which runs a 2.3.1 version of Xenix.  A couple of weeks
ago we had a system crash.  There was no real damage; all the data files
stayed intact, and none of the apps have gone crazy.  However..... The
console now refuses to properly display a cursor when I log in.  All
other aspects of system behavior are fine; only the cursor is nuts.
Sometimes the cursor will suddenly pop up in the middle of the screen,
other times it will disappear completely.  Needless to say this can be
very frustrating when I try, for example, to run vi.

I've checked the obvious stuff.  I think.  I copied the termcap file
over from my one other Xenix box [just in case, though I'm not sure
why I would think the trouble is in termcap].  And now I'm at a loss
when it comes to figuring why this is taking place.

Any hints from larger or longer term Xenix shops?  I'd appreciate any
additional leads.  Email is probably best, but I skim the newsgroup
too.

Thanks!

--
<:>   Dean Riddlebarger                               "The bus came by      <:>
<:>   MIS Manager - Truevision, Inc.                    and I got on,       <:>