Bug in spooler on Xenix (fix here)

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.COM
Fri Aug 17 21:13:04 AEST 1990

There is a bug I have seen mentioned in the Xenix spooler recently.
This is that the spooler seems to stop working on a random basis.  This
is caused by a race condition in the spooler.  SCO gave me a workaround
to this a while ago:

1.	Create a dummy printer, make it the default printer.  DO NOT USE
	THIS PRINTER FOR PRINTING.

2.	Add the following line to /etc/profile:

		LPDEST=printer; export LPDEST

	replace "printer" with what you want your default printer to be.

3.	Add the following line to /etc/cshrc:

		setenv LPDEST printer

	Again, replace "printer" with what you want your default printer
	to be.

4.	Shut down the spooler using "/usr/lib/lpshut".

5.	Kill any existing processes that have the name "lpsched"

6.	Restart the spooler using "/usr/lib/lpsched".

This will fix the problem.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.