HELP! (Bad Inode Problem)

NEASE at MAINE.BITNET NEASE at MAINE.BITNET
Tue Aug 21 13:16:02 AEST 1990

A client of mine has a mashed /dev/u filesystem.  I brought the machine up in s
ingle user mode, ran fsck several times to clean it up.  However, there seems t
o be a bizarre problem that is somehow related to a previous tar/tape backup at
tempt that failed.  If I just run fsck with no options, everything seems clean.
  If I run it as 'fsck -D' I get the following result:
     BAD DIR ENTRY I = 3004
     BLK 25144  I=3004  OWNER=root MODE=40775
     SIZE=2128 MTIME=Aug 20 21:57 1990
     DIR=/bcsop.old/xevents

Though /dev/u/bcsop.old/xevents is empty, the system is determined that there
is several files named ./bcsop.old/ev or some such, and it won't erase them.
The SCO manual entry for fsck says that the directory needs to be deleted,
except that I can't remove the directory since Xenix thinks it isn't empty.
I've never used fsdb, and the manual isn't terribly informative on how
to use it.  If anybody out there knows how I can fix this problem, I'd
appreciate hearing about it!!!   The machine is a 386 clone running
Xenix 2.3.2.

In advance, thanx for the help

     Reid M. Pinchback