2 x ST-506

Matti Joutkoski mattij at tuura.UUCP
Tue Aug 14 17:35:27 AEST 1990

Hello world.

I have SCO Xenix/386 2.3.1 with a ST-506 controller. That Xenix version
supports 2 X ST-506 controllers, but how?

I tried to install second controller, but it didn't work. The whole
machine was jammed. There were intterrupt conflict. The both controllers
used same intterrupt 14 (Xenix says 36). I/O address was jumped as secondary
controller (170-177H). And the controllers were both Western Digital 1002-WA2.

So when the IRQ is setted as 15 (in 2nd controller) Xenix will boot up, but
it doesn't regonize that 2nd controller. I didn't find anything parameter-
files at /usr/sys-directory, which could affect the HD-controllers. I think
Xenix itself finds out, what controllers there are installed, am I right?

So what I did wrong or what I did forget?

Oh, I also jumped the floppy control from the 2nd controller to the
secondary address and I cutted DMA off. So it doen't disturb the 1st
controller.

Should 2nd controller see in the Xenix-boot? 1st controller is seeing
very well with I/O addresses and IRQ's.