Using 3Com card in the Open Desktop Machine

Aris Stathakis aris at tabbs.UUCP
Tue Aug 28 05:47:12 AEST 1990

In article <361 at nec-gw.nec.com> mike at NECAM.tdd.sj.nec.com (Michael Tran) writes:
>I have a 33Mhz 386 machine that recently installed with ODT.  However, the
>kernel panics and crashes everytime I installed the machine with a Western
>Digital 8003 ethernet card.  I have tried to set the WD card with different
>interrupt and IO address, but no luck.  Finally, I replace the WD card with
>a 3Com 501 card.  This was proved to be successful.  The machine is now
>fully operational and able to use the existing network.  Please let me
>know if you are experiencing any similar problems.

I had the same problems.  The WD Ethernet cards are a real bitch if you ask
me.  I don't reccomend them.  I too am using a 3Com card now.

Apparently there are drivers for the Racal-Interlan NI5210 ethernet cards
now (available from Racal-Interlan).  I haven't tried them, but judging
by the quality of Racal-Interlans other equipment (the NP600 comes to
mind) I think they'll work just great.

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris at tabbs.UUCP