Speed costs (Re: MWC's Coherent - A Lemon...)

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Sun May 27 06:36:02 AEST 1990

chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>[[ Followups to comp.arch ]]
>
>According to jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau):
>>peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>>Did you know that C-news runs in small model?
>>
>>So what if C-News runs in small model.
>>A vast majority of C compilers won't.
>
>Competent C compilers can be written in small model.  I once worked on
>a C compiler that ran on a PDP-11, which as everyone knows, is limited
>to 64K of data under most (all?) Unix implementations.

Which brings forth the argument in favor of progress.  How many people
actually use PDP-11's anymore?  I've seen a few go in and out at garage sales.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca