Open desktop

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Tue May 29 01:29:50 AEST 1990

In article <394080 at neabbs.UUCP> omeer at neabbs.UUCP (OSCAR VAN.DER.MEER) writes:
| I am suprised that there is no news about SCO's Open Desktop.
| Am I in the wrong area for message? If not could anybody who is using
| the product send me a short review of their experiences with the
| Open Desktop.

  ODT seems to work well, but if you are running in a network
environment you will probably need the multiuser version, since the two
user version doesn't let you run two users under all conditions (see my
many previous posts). Other than that, and some problems with TCP (see
other's posts) it looks pretty good.

|   What I am particulary interested in is, how much effort it cost to
| write a decent Motif based program. And also what the performance is
| of the X-Windows/Motif combination, for instance compared to Microsoft
| Windows on the same machine.

  At work we have not gotten either the multiuser update or the X
development set, which were ordered FedEx weeks ago. We got the MU
package on a machine in for evaluation, and it seems to be okay.

  Speed is acceptable on a 20MHz 386, really good on a 33MHz 486! We're
evaluating lots of toys right now, so those are the boxes I've run more
than a few minutes. I really like the MOTIF setup, and use it a lot.
The copies we have will not run X on an X terminal, just on the console.
SCO tells us that this works in the multiuser version, but ours didn't.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX