Pathalias Problem

john donahue gumby at ucrmath.UCR.EDU
Wed May 9 04:42:04 AEST 1990

My site just received some more map files in "comp.mail.maps"
last night and suddenly, pathalias no longer works. It is now complaining
that the argument list of files is too long. There are now 178 files in
my "/usr/spool/uucp/Maps" directory and when a shell script called
"/usr/lib/uucp/uugetmaps" is executed, pathalias is run with:

/usr/lib/uucp/pathalias -i /usr/spool/uucp/Maps/* > /tmp/paths

It complains that the "arg list too long" and terminates. I moved some of
the files to another directory temporarily so that it will work again
(when this failed, my "paths" file was truncated to 0 so then "smail"
would no longer resolve domain addresses).

So, do I need a better version of "getopt ()" than the one supplied
by SCO? I'm running v2.3.2 for the 386 (of the Dev system and the OS).
The Makefile for pathalias metions that you may "use your own getopts",
but since the OS provides it, I just used that one. Is there a better
one I should be using? Should I just "forget" about sites in Argentina
and other "remote" places? (These are the map files I moved from the
Maps directory so pathalias would work again).

Any ideas?

-- John