Corrupted Filesystem * IDEAS *

torsten at pcsbst.pcs.com torsten at pcsbst.pcs.com
Sat May 5 03:08:28 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr29.133610.11755 at NCoast.ORG> rhg at ncoast.ORG (Rich Garrett) writes:

>PROBLEM: I've lost a filesystem, one that has very important files on it.
>         As I posted to comp.unix.xenix, this was caused during a system
>         freeze while I was running Paradox under vpix.  A reboot followed
>         and I have to-date been unable to recover this filesystem.  The
>         paradox files were on the device /dev/de052 (/mnt2) and not on
>         or part of the DOS partition.
[..] Stuff deleted

	I've also sent this answer to Rich by mail but i think this is
	of general interest, so i post it here.

	I don't know vpix, but i think there are ways to do it :

	--You have a plain SYS_V filesystem, do the following :

	# :> file       # create an empty file
	# mkfs file YOUR_FILESYSTEM_CONFIGURATION     # do an mkfs which matches
						      # your damaged filesystem
		  # Be sure that you match it exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
	          # Now use dd to copy the newly created superblock
		  # to your damaged filesystem. You should only copy
		  # the second block !!!!!

	# dd if=file of=/dev/device bs=512 skip=1 seek=1 count=1

	Now fsck will do the rest for you, because it now has all information
	it will need.

	--You have a BSD fast filesystem :

	Use fsck -b BLOCK to specify an alternate superblock to be used.
	On our Workhorses block 32 is always a copy of it.
	For your system lookup the fine manual ;-).

		Good luck, Torsten.
---
Name    : Torsten Homeyer
Company : PCS GmbH, Pfaelzer-Wald-Str. 36, 8000 Munich W-Germany.
UUCP    : ..[pyramid ;uunet!unido]!pcsbst!tho  (PYRAMID PREFERRED!!)
DOMAIN  : tho at pcsbst.pcs.[ COM From rest of world; DE From Europe ]