UNIX on IBM

fostel at ncsu.UUCP fostel at ncsu.UUCP
Fri Oct 7 05:15:34 AEST 1983

    It is possible to purchase a UNIX for 370 like systems originally from
    Amdahl.  There is also one used inside Bell Labs which they are probably
    not going to give to anyone for love or money. (Something which is true
    of most things in Bell Labs it seems sometimes. The good old days are
    just that.)

    The version from Amdahl is expected to run on IBM's virtual machine
    operating system VM/370.  This is not quite like saying Eunice runs on
    VAX/VMS since VM/370 is is some ways an invisible OS.  It makes you think
    you have the entire bare machine to yourself -- something VMS clearly does
    not do. So why bother with VM you say?  Well I guess Bell Labs said that
    to cause I think theirs is a real bare UNIX.  Some comparisons in perform-
    ance would be interesting. Don't count out VM cause it usually comes with
    micro-code speed-ups to enhance I/O performance. VM is usually used to
    support the CMS timesharing system, a holdover from the dusty dawn of
    timesharing research in TechSquare, in the 60's.
    ----GaryFostel----