Interpreted C?

John A. Rogers jr at fortune.UUCP
Fri Feb 10 06:08:19 AEST 1984

There's at least one interpreted C that I'm aware of.  It's called "tiny C",
it runs on 8-bit micros (8080 under CP/M).  There's also a later version called
"tiny C two", which is a compiler.  I think tiny C costs around $100, and
includes a manual with complete source listings of the interpreter.  You could
probably find ads for it in Dr. Dobbs or Microsystems.  I've never used tiny C,
so I don't know how good it is.  I've heard that the syntax is non-standard
(something about semicolons being option).  I'm sorry I can't provide any more
information.

Please note that the tiny C family is not the same as the "small C" family,
which is a set of C compilers for the 8080.  The source code for Small C and
Small C 2 was published in Dr. Dobbs a few years ago.  Small C is public
domain, Small C 2 is copyrighted (but I think it may be distributed as long
as it's not for profit), and tiny C and tiny C 2 are both proprietary products.

Just out of curiousity, why are you interested in interpreted C?

				Have fun!
				JR
--
				JR (John Rogers)