virtual terminal

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Wed Feb 8 17:14:24 AEST 1984

Actually, bashing the innards of UUCP to make it run over a LAN isn't too
bad.  We're running the 4.2BSD UUCP here, and it has support for UUCP over
a TCP/IP connection (it assumes the UNET TCP/IP implementation, though we
have a library that provides UNET-compatible subroutine calls under 4.2BSD);
we added a super-dumb protocol that assumes that the underlying network
protocol (TCP, in this case) does all the error handling and flow control.
It gets about 150KB over the Ethernet, which is about the same or higher
than the bandwidth FTP gets; running a vanilla UUCP over a LAN would be
quite a bit less efficient, as the "g" link-level protocol's overhead would
be unnecessarily added to the other transmission overheads.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy