filename: no permission

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 09:03:56 AEST 1984

> The Shell should (at least) say "csh: filename: no permission".
> I've wondered why all programs are expected to print their names
> in their error messages, but the Shells have remained immune to criticism...

Arguably, the shell isn't a command, but a "meta-command", so if it encounters
an error it should claim that the error message is coming from the command
it is running (for instance, syntax errors give the name of the shell file
it's executing).  I make no claim as to whether this is right or wrong, but
it seems to be the philosophy followed for at least the Bourne shell.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy